I was a little skeptical when I tried making this recipe today. I'm trying to cut back on carbs and eat more vegetables, and I read somewhere that cauliflower can be used in place of rice or to make a pizza crust, etc. So, I found a "fried rice" recipe that substituted cauliflower for rice and decided to give it a try.
The Results: We really liked it! Now, I did some tweaking of my own to the recipe to make it a little more tasty for us, so that's why I'm posting it here so I won't forget what I did. I was amazed at how much the cauliflower looked and even tasted like rice. What a healthy alternative to incorporate more veggies into your diet without even realizing it! Hope you enjoy it as much as our family did!
Cauliflower Stir Fry
- 1 pound ground turkey (ground beef or chicken would work, or leave it out completely)
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce (omit this if gf or using something in its place)
- 1 Tbsp Sherry
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 large head of Cauliflower, cut in small chunks
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrots, cut into small chunks
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1-2 Tbsp. peanut butter (depending on how pea-nutty you want it)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (regular milk will work)
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Stir together sherry, soy sauce, minced garlic, cumin and ground turkey and set aside.
- Place cauliflower in food processor or blender and pulse for one second a few times. You just want the consistency to be like that of rice, so don't blend it or it will get mushy. Set aside.
- Cook peas and carrots on stove until tender and drain.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. coconut oil in skillet on medium heat and add ground turkey. Cook all the way through and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, melt 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and place cauliflower in skillet and brown. Add orange juice.
- Make a well in center of skillet and add egg and scramble. Once it is scrambled, toss with cauliflower.
- Add peas and carrots and turkey.
- In microwave safe bowl, mix your sauce ingredients and microwave for 30-45 seconds. Whisk sauce and pour on top of stir fry.
- Serve immediately.
Original recipe came from here.